Our guest today is Carlton Fowler, Managing Partner of Goat Rodeo Capital. Carlton invests in the beverage space with some of his invests including lemon perfect, sourced, and one hope. Previously, he led spirits innovation and brand development at E&J Gallo. In this episode we focus our conversation on the change in beverage during covid, how brands are becoming creative and how he sees value add from investors in the space.
A couple books that inspired Carlton are Pattern Recognition by William Gibson and Against The Gods by Peter L. Bernstein.
Here are some of the questions I asked Carlton:
- What initially attracted you to the beverage industry?
- You came from an operator background, working at E & G Gallo. What attracted you working with early stage beverage companies and to head into venture capital?
- Talk to me about your due diligence process.
- What are some of the changes that you have seen when it comes to the beverage industry, specifically during COVID?
- What's one thing that you would change when it came to venture capital?
- What's your most recent investment and what makes you excited about it?
- What's one piece of advice that you have for founders?