My guest today is Ben Zises, founder of SuperAngel.fund. SuperAngel Fund is an early stage rolling fund investing in Consumer, PropTech & Future of Work companies. Some of the companies he's invested in are quip, Caraway and Arber. Ben is usually the first check in on the investments that he makes and in our conversation we touch on what's it's like investing in companies pre-product-market fit, learning the mechanics of a rolling fund vs. a traditional venture capital fund.
Head over to SuperAngel.fund to learn more about subscribing.
You can also follow Ben on Twitter @bzises
Here are some of the questions I ask Ben:
- What was your attraction to entrepreneurship?
- After Retail MLS, why did you decide to become an investor?
- What are some of the challenges when investing in CPG businesses?
- You say you invest at day 0. what do you mean by that?
- What are some of the benefits of having a rolling fund vs. traditional venture capital fund?
- How do you approach portfolio construction?
- How do you judge founders?
- Everybody does due diligence a little bit differently. How do you do due diligence when you invest?
- What are some of the reasons why you might pass?
- How do you think about digitally native brands today? It's easier than ever to start a digitally native company and there's no longer FB and google arbitrage marketing opportunities.
- What's one thing you would change about venture capital?
- What's the best piece of advice that you've received?
- Not to underestimate any
- What's one piece of advice that you have to consumer founders?