Our guest today is Lindsay Kaplan, Co-founder of Chief. Chief is a private network focused on connecting and supporting women leaders. Previously, she was part of Casper’s founding team to lead communications and brand engagement. In thie episode you'll learn about the inner workings of professional networks, the opportunity she saw, why she decided to structure Chief as a for-profit scalable entity, and her approach to brand.
You can follow Lindsay on Twitter @lindsaykap
Some of the questions I ask Lindsay:
- What was your attraction to working on startups vs. corporate?
- Why marketing?
- Before you became the first hire at Casper, you worked for a few companies that didn't make it. What were some of your learnings from those experiences?
- What was it like being on a rocket ship at Casper?
- What did that teach you about yourself and how to scale a company?
- What was the insight that led you to found Chief?
- Why did you decide to raise capital?
- What were the main concerns from investors when you were raising your seed?
- How were you able to pivot during COVID?
- Did you find that members were frustrated they couldn't meet others in person or were excited that they could meet many more people since it's virtual?
- Did you decide to expand into other markets more quickly since you had to transition online?
- How did you approach growth?
- What's one thing that you would change about fundraising?
- What's one book that inspired you personally and one book that inspired you professionally?
- What's the best piece of advice that you've received?
- What's one piece of advice for founders?