Our guest today is Matteo Franceschetti, founder and CEO of Eight Sleep, The #1 Smart Mattress, designed to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep. In this episode, you'll learn about how Matteo thinks about sleep, why we should optimize it, habits that help us get to sleep and where eight sleep comes into play. We also talk about his vision about being more than a sleep company. Without further ado, here's Matteo.
Check out Eight Sleep and you can follow him on Twitter @m_franceschetti.
Some of the questions I ask Matteo
- What got you interested in studying sleep?
- What was the initial insight that led you to founding Eight Sleep?
- How did you think about product discovery, where in sleep to focus your time?
- What were parts of your product that you had to iterate on?
- What's the ideal temperature people should be sleeping at?
- What was your process to validate your idea?
- Was it a single moment in time when you found there is consumer demand for this type of technology?
- What was your fundraising strategy?
- How did you think about your go to market strategy, focus and your company's vision?
- What is your company's vision?
- Hardware is very difficult to do. What were some of the learnings and lessons learned building a hardware company?
- What was that process like, finding a manufacturer and building out the whole supply chain?
- Break down the metrics you focus on regarding sleep.
- Were there any surprises from your intuition that you found from the data?
- didn't know you had a big wake up
- What's the biggest part about sleep that is most misunderstood by consumers
- What was the impact of COVID? Especially since people couldn't try out the product in one of your show rooms and it's quite a high price point.
- How do you balance working a fast moving, high growth company but still making sure all your employees get the right amount of sleep per night since that is part of your mission for everyone to do?
- Softbank just came in with a $100 million investment. I know it's a recent partnership, but what has that been like receiving that amount of capital injection in the company?
- What's Eight Sleep's vision in the next 5-10 years?
- What's one book that inspired you personally and one book that inspired you professionally?
- What's the best piece of advice that you've received?
- What's one piece of advice that you have for founders?