Presenter: Burkland Associates helps you build the right systems that can keep up with your growth and can handle all the finance, accounting, tax and hiring services that consumer startups need to scale.
For more information head to burklandassociates.com
Presenter: Skillful runs online, immersive programs that help people launch and accelerate their careers in business roles in tech - Strategy & Ops, Product, Strategic Finance and Growth.
Click Here to Apply to the Next Cohort
My guest today is Michael Markesbery, co-founder and CEO of OROS. OROS produces award winning apparel with their patented SOLARCORE® Insulation. It's the warmest Zero-Bulk Gear. In Michael's words, they science the shit out of everything when it comes to outdoor apparel that keeps you warm. This was such a fun chat about how he's building this incredible brand that uses space technology to build their product. Without further ado, here's Michael.
- What was your attraction to space?
- How did you develop a relationship with NASA?
- Arogel - very brittle
- Arogel to foam
- Really warm fiber
- What IP
- How did you come up with the idea for OROS?
- Walk us through the technology.
- Why did you think there was a need for this?
- What was your first product?
- When did you decide to fundraise?How was that experience?What was investor reactions?
- Where did you decide to sell? What was the launch strategy?
- How do you describe your target consumer?
- What were some of the stumbling blocks along the way?
- Are you the exclusive holder of the license with NASA? What's that relationship like?
- What's your percentage of B2C vs. B2G sales?
- What do you have on the roadmap for new products?
- What's one thing you would change about the fundraising process?
- What's one book that inspired you personally and one book that inspired you professionally?
- What's the best piece of advice that you've received?Don't ever ask for favors, ask for advice
- What's one piece of advice for founders?Take the moonshot