My guest today is [Rex Woodbury](https://twitter.com/rex_woodbury?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor), who is a Principal at [Index Ventures](https://www.indexventures.com/). Index Ventures is one of the largest and prestigious VC funds inthe world, Some of the companies they've invested in Robinbood, Roblox, and Glossier. Rex focuses his time on thinking how people, culture and technology intersect. He has an amazing weekly newsletter called Digital Native where he shares what he's observing around these pillars, which I highly recommend. You'll learn in this episode about the metaverse - what it is and how the creator economy, crypto, NFTs, web 3.0 all tie into it as well as different use cases of how people are creating their own digital identities. Without further ado, here's Rex.
Some of the questions I ask Rex:
1. What was your attraction to technology and media?
2. How do you describe how technology has shaped culture?
3. What is the metaverse today and how do you see the metaverse evolving?
4. How do you describe Web 3.0?
5. What does community
6. With all this being said, how do you think about the modern community and online community in general?
7. What's the difference between creators and influencers?
8. Creator economy is a very hot sector to invest in. How do you analyze though what's investible and what isn't investible?
9. Which legacy platforms are doing a good job attracting creators and which platforms have work to do?
11. What's some of the differences from the legacy social media companies vs. modern ones?
1. Are we going to see platform gatekeepers in the future?
12. How do you think about the future of fame?
13. How are people interacting in the meta verse? Which parts of the metaverse do you find most interesting?
14. There's now so many products that are investible. What are products that you are most interested in becoming investible in the future?
15. In your piece on the digital renaissance, you mention "This gets to the heart of this new economy. It’s no longer designed for centralized platforms that monopolize value; it’s built for creators and communities." What does this new economy look like?
16. What will the metaverse look like in the next 5 years?
17. What's one part of the creator economy and the metaverse that most investors may not understand?
18. Are we going to see a billion dollar creator? Will creators ever get to be venture backable?
19. What's one thing you would change about venture capital?
20. What's one book that inspired you personally and one book that inspired you professionally?
21. What's one piece of advice you have for founders?
22. What's the best piece of advice that you've received?