My guest today is Tyler Morgan, Vice President at BFG Partners. BFG Partners invests in entrepreneurs that build exceptional businesses in the better-for-you food, beverage, and consumer products space. Some of their investments include Olipop, Quinn Snacks, and Bear Naked. I really enjoyed my time with Tyler where we discuss his due diligence process, effects of COVID within CPG and the evolution of BFG. Without further ado, here's Tyler.
The Consumer VC Summit: February 23-25
Full Lineup and to purchase tickets:
Enter CONSUMERVC at checkout for 20% off
A couple of books that inspired Tyler:
Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea by Gary Kinder
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
Some of the questions I ask Tyler -
- What was your initial attraction to consumer products?
- Wellness in hospitals
- What was your interest when it came to investing and venture capital?
- Tell me a bit about BFG it seems like you did a rebrand. What are your focus areas?
- Why did you expand to invest in other consumables?
- What are some current trends that you're most interested in? Food as medicine
- There are so many brands out there since it's never been easier to start a brand then at any other point in time. What's your evaluation process to judge if a brand might be able to cut through the noise?
- Walk me through your due diligence process?
- What makes a compelling brand?
- What's one thing you would change about Venture capital?
- Do you only invest in brands that have an online presence?
- in store demoing
- What's one thing that you would change about venture capital?
- Do you only invest in companies that are DNVBs or do invest in companies that are already in retail?
- What's one book that inspired you personally and one book that inspired you professionally?
- What's the best piece that you've received?
- What's one piece of advice to founders?